Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Senior Discount

I've been a teacher now for 13 years. Compared to some of the old-timers, I'm still a baby when it comes to experience. Why, then, do things keep happening that make me feel old? I told you all about my breakthrough with the blue dress socks, but the other day I had two more firsts happen, both within a few minutes of each other.

A group of teachers and I went out to lunch. We placed our orders and sat down. As I was waiting for my food to arrive, I glanced down at the receipt and noticed that I had received a 10% senior discount. Now I realize that I am looking more distinguished as I progress through my 30's, but a senior discount? Really?

I asked the others if they had gotten the same discount and it turned out that I wasn't alone. Either "senior" was the code for the teacher discount or we all looked looked pretty haggard at the end of a long week.

A few minutes later a young mother with a toddler and another one on the way walked in for lunch. I glanced over at the expectant mom and thought that I recognized her, but I couldn't be sure. I kept trying to sneak a glance at her, but her back was to me and just couldn't quite catch a glimpse of her face. Just as she went to get a refill on her drink, I noticed that mine was empty too. "I'm making my move," I said to the teacher next to me. "It's now or never!"

And with that I marched over to the soda fountain, and waited right behind her for her to turn around. When she did, I called her by name and shocked her that I had even remembered her. Of course I remembered her. She had been in my fourth grade class and was a good kid. Those are the easy ones to remember.

We spent a few minutes catching up before it struck me that I was doing something I had never done before. I was talking to one of my old students about her kids while telling her about mine. I then realized that her oldest was less than a year younger than my youngest. We had kids that could one day be in the same grade in school.

I suppose that such is the cycle of life, but it sure seems to be spinning a little faster than it used to.

No comments: