Sunday, April 21, 2013

She Did it Again!

Last week I told the story of how my nine-year-old daughter, Maddie, made the most of a difficult situation. If you haven't read Packing Heat yet, you may want to do that before reading this post because she's done it again.

You know that she loves her new pocket knife. She won't go anywhere without it, but those darn dresses and the lack of pockets make it a challenge. This week she kept the knife hidden from me all through church, but she did manage to show Grandma at some point.

After church we went out for pizza with Grandma and Grandpa. An elderly lady, a long time friend,  came with us. As we were wrapping things up, Grandma said to Maddie, "Show Roberta what you got for your birthday." And this is when she again gave me great pause.

Immediately her left hand pulled the collar of her dress out while her right hand plunged deep inside. Now, I've seen women do this move before and they usually pull out a cell phone or roll of cash, or something else that needs very safe keeping, but I know my little girl and I know what's she's not wearing under her dress, so I was momentarily baffled by her storage strategy. Sure enough, seconds later she pulls the little blue Swiss Army knife out and hands it to Roberta. And then I saw how she had done it.

Her particular variety of knife is the keychain version. Maddie had capitalized on this aspect of the design and cut a length of blue yarn to loop through the ring. She then tied the ends together and slipped the yarn around her neck with the knife tucked safely away inside her dress. The best part was that the yarn upon which she attached her knife was light blue, the same color as her dress.

If she grows up to join the FBI, I'm sure she will be the first to create a line of girly shoulder holsters that can be mixed and matched to properly accessorize any outfit.

No comments: